Orange Juice Production Business in Africa – A Startup Case Study: Squeezed orange is the nonalcoholic sweet and delectable natural product drink got from orange. The worldwide juice industry is assessed at $92 billion. In the Nigerian market, around 930,000 metric lots of citrus natural products are created every year from an expected 3,000,000 hectares of land.
Juice handling system in Nigeria goes from individual arrangement at home for family utilization to worldwide aggregates utilizing a few interconnected high limit plants. There is a monstrous interest for natural product juice in Nigeria. With a populace of more than 165 million individuals and an expected public populace development pace of 5.7% per annum, Nigeria has an enormous market for natural product juice. The utilization of squeezed orange has expanded by roughly 10% each year. It rose from 200 million liters in 2002 to 320 million liters in 2007. The number rose to around 550 million liters in 2017. The public interest for natural product squeezes every year is by and by an expected of around 550 million liters, while the ongoing inventory is assessed at 135 million liters.
A portion of the difficulties experienced in squeezed orange creation should have been visible in the space of development of oranges, gathering, post-reap handling, showcasing, and capacity. By and by, this article targets investigating the bit by bit manual for squeezed orange creation, hence, proffering answers for these difficulties. It will likewise direct you on the most proficient method to begin your own squeezed orange creation business.
What Is Orange Juice?
Orange juice is a sweet liquid extract of the orange fruit, produced by squeezing or reaming oranges. It comes in several different varieties.
What is Orange Juice Production?
Orange juice production is the extraction of liquid from oranges. It is extracted either by mechanically squeezing or macerating the fruits.
Business Opportunities in Orange Juice Production
1). Orange Juice as a Sweetener:
Orange juice has lots of nutritional benefits, including for culinary purposes. It is used as the sweetener in smoothies, pastries, soft drinks, and other dishes.
2). Orange Essential Oil Production:
Orange essential oil is extracted as a by-product of orange juice, and it is produced by centrifugation. The oil is used in aromatherapy, as a cleaning agent, for biological pest control, for cosmetics purposes and also for medicinal purposes.
Facts and Benefits of Orange Juice
- The chief soluble solids in orange juice are the soluble carbohydrates.
- The maximum juice yield from an orange is 40 to 60% by weight, depending on the fruit variety and local climate.
- Orange juice is easily digested and brings about a cleansing effect on the blood and the digestive tract.
- Orange juice has a high concentration of vitamin C, but also a very high level of simple sugars, comparable to soft drinks.
- The primary pigment in orange juice producing the orange colour is the carotenoid, β-cryptoxanthin.
- Canned orange juice tends to retain vitamin C much better than that of the bottled juice.
- The canned orange juice loses its flavour when stored at room temperature for more than 12 weeks.
- After the extraction of the juice from an orange, the resulting fruit pulp is a possible livestock feed, and the rind acid (oil) is an expensive commodity in the international market.
- Fresh-squeezed, unpasteurised juice is the closest to taking the orange itself.
- When orange juice is heat-treated, there is an increase in the number of fine particles and a decrease in that of coarse particles.
- The fine particles, in particular, are mainly responsible for the appearance, colour, and flavour of orange juice.
- In orange juice, the pulp is responsible for desirable flow properties, taste, and flavour.
- Orange juice helps in bone formation and gum health
- It prevents bone loss and blood pressure.
- Brazil, China, Mexico, India and the USA are the top producers of orange.
Types of Orange Juice
1). Freshly Squeezed Juice:
This has an average shelf life of 5 to 6 days. It is not processed thermally, thus satisfying increasing demands for natural products.
2). Not-from-concentrate Juice:
Minimal thermal (heat) treatment is used for this type of juice. It is processed and best stored frozen, or quickly purified and stored in the aseptic form.
3). Frozen concentrate orange juice:
This form is very beneficial for storage and shipment, requiring less than five to six times volume than fresh juice. It consists of a concentrate of a mixture of specified quality from different orange varieties.
How to Start Orange Juice Production in Nigeria: Step-By-Step Guide
There are several requirements for starting orange juice production in Nigeria. First off, there is a need to have a business plan.
1). Sourcing for Raw Materials:
The significant raw material needed is oranges. They should be gotten from a reliable fruit supplier, or you could grow them yourself on private farmland. The former option is recommendable because oranges are abundant nationwide. In selecting the orange fruits, avoid the ones that would deteriorate immediately.
2). Processing The Fruit Juice:
This may include some of the following: Boiler, filling machine, filter press, blender, bowl with water, extractor, cutting boards, knives (stainless steel), peeler, and containers for storing the juice. Wash the oranges thoroughly and peel them. Put the peeled oranges in an extractor and press. Extract the liquid gotten from the fruits and put them into a blender tank. Add other ingredients as so desired. Filter the mixture and transfer it into a container.
If the fruit juice is freshly made and is meant for consumption immediately, preservatives may not be added. This is typical of fruit juice made for immediate consumption at hotels, bars, fast food centres, shopping malls. However, for large quantity productions, which would have a long shelf life, there is the need for added preservatives to keep them in good condition.
Typical packs for orange juice are the tetra pack, cans, bottles (plastic and glass), and pouches.
Challenges of Orange Juice Production
The challenges of orange juice production include:
- High cost of equipment and machinery
- Oranges are highly perishable
- Low consumer purchasing power
- Orange fruits are seasonal, and this affects the price of orange juice
- Heavy market competition
- Short orange juice shelf life
- Absence of adequate storage facilities
- Marketing challenges
- Difficulty in reaching the international market
- Lack of loans for orange juice investors
- Limited support by the government
- Fluctuations in market prices
To Sum It Up
Over the past years, the orange juice market has shown substantial growth due to shifting trends among health-conscious consumers from popular carbonated drinks to natural beverages free from flavours, sugars, and preservatives. For entrepreneurs in the industry, fruit juice has excellent potential for export, especially the west coast, where indeed, much export is taking place.
The orange juice production business in Nigeria can be a lucrative and profitable venture to start-up, due to its vast market demand and on your ability to build a wide supply chain network. If you’re looking for a business to venture into, the orange juice production business in Nigeria is a great option to explore.